Coffee | It's More Than a Cuppa Joe

Coffee is a cup of energy. Yes, coffee has caffeine which is an energy boost in itself. But when I’m hugging a cup of good coffee I feel genuinely recharged. There is a certain comfort in a good cup of coffee that makes me feel revitalized. The smell of coffee roasting and pouring into my cup is genuinely exciting.

Coffee pulls me through the tough times. Whether it be a late night study session that I need to push through with a caffeine kick, or a hard time mentally. As I have discussed before on the blog, I suffer with my mental health, and sometimes a good cuppa Joe just brings me back to the ground. Even a bad cup..I know the true meaning of ‘death before decaf’.



There is a huge social element to coffee too, and I think everyone gets this. It’s like tea, it brings people together, just a different kind of people. Am I right? I mean there is almost always crowds of people who queue for coffee in college and sit around together; be it on a study break, a date, a hangover cure, a meeting or even just a bit of social.

Coffee warms cold hands and even cold hearts sometimes. I love seeing someone holding a coffee with both hands close to their face in the cold. I know the comfort that cup is supplying. So anyone who knows me will know my love of coffee. Day in, day out, I drink coffee. Straight up black Americano is my favourite. But I like the odd cortado or caramella from Costa. My purse is busting at the seams with loyalty cards from different coffee shops (and not money unforch).

 Coffee gives me my energy for the day, when I’m in a slump and when I need a boost to get me through the day. But coffee is so much more than a cup of caffeine to me, as nuts as it sounds.

Really good baristas are people that I really appreciate. Making coffee is an art. Especially latte art. I mean that shit is not easy. But it is gorgeous. Besides the obvious latte art, making coffee and not burning it is something I appreciate so much because so many coffee places are rushing through queues and burning their coffee and not steaming their milk properly etc. I ADORE tiny cafes with baristas who really know their coffee and take about 5 minutes to make your cup.
 That's the stuff that's worth waiting for!

I don't know if many people have this sort of connection to a hot beverage as I seem to have with coffee, but it really is something that gets me through each day. I can't actually imagine how much of a demon I would be if I didn't get at least one cup in, in a day. 

I actually did an anthropology assignment in my first year in college all about tea and other's associations and connections with it through some interviews. So I know that so many people, especially Irish people have a whole cultural connection with tea and what it means for them. 

What pulls you through every day?



Comments

Popular Posts