The Irish Apology


Something which I find to be hilarious in day-to-day life is the Irish 'sorry'.

You all know what I am talking about already, and if you don't immediately make the connection, allow me to explain. 



So every Irish person who bumps into another will frantically apologize. Sure, when you physically bump into another person you should apologize, as is polite to do so. 

But the Irish seem to take it to a new level. We can barely breathe in each other's company or presence without the impulse to apologize. Why? 



I find it hilarious that I might be about to enter the ladies room, and another woman is coming out of the door as I am about to enter. We barely even make eye contact, never mind come into physical contact, when she apologizes, and often times her gaze will shoot to the floor, almost in shame. It is as if it is intrinsically embedded into Irish social practice that we must say sorry for any near encounter with another, even when the other person isn't a stranger. 

But what is there to be sorry for? For using the bathroom? For happening to be in the same place as me at the same time? To cause me to pause at the door for a mere second or two before I can advance to relieve myself? 
Gurl, chill. It's cool. 


I mean we are all humans living in this world, we all use much the same facilities. Walking through a doorway is not cause for apology. The Irish nation need to cool it. Stop apologizing for every damn thing.
  Live yo life, free from apology...

I write this blog because I have just returned from the toilets of the library in college and this encounter just happened. And also because I have been so absent on my blog that I want to stop trying to be so pristine about it and just post about things that I find funny, interesting or just obscure, (etc., etc.).


Okay so you may be reading this thinking 'isn't it better that they apologize than say nothing at all?' In most cases, no, I really don't think so. But if someone physically bumps/hits me, impedes on my personal space in a serious manner, then please do apologize. But if you happen to cause of wave of air in my direction whilst walking past me, I really will not cause a fuss. Believe me, most people wont. 

The 'Irish Apology', as I call it, is something that I have always noticed and have often taken it up myself. But lately I just can't see the point in it, and quite frankly, I am tired of saying 'no bother at all', 'you're grand, no worries'.


'Sorry' is so often the point of entry to getting your way also. 'Sorry can I get past you there'. But what would we put in place of this 'sorry'. I don't know, but maybe you can suggest an alternative. I mean, I'm Irish, I obviously don't know any better...

As a side note: I do realize that there are very rude people out there who will trod on your squeaky clean sneakz, skip a place in the queue, shoulder you in the streets, and won't utter a sound. But they're just on their own shit train. Fuck 'em. 



See you in the hallways 

xoxox

Comments

Popular Posts