My Experience with Travelling

I am recently back from a trip to Budapest and I plan to travel a lot more this year and in the years to come. I thought it would be cool to do a blog post on my experience so far with travel and a few tips along the way. I do not claim to be a very experienced and savvy traveler but I wanted to give my two cents worth!

It's the Simple Things

From my most recent trip, to Budapest, I have learned to appreciate things that I never thought much of before. Google Maps is a savior. It is well worth purchasing a data add-on and using it for Google Maps to navigate safely to wherever you want to go. I personally feel like it is much better than holding out a tourist map and desperately squinting at it in the middle of a back street you thought you were meant to take

Safety First

Who knew how useful bumbags are? Not me. I carried our passports and money and hotel key and kept non-essentials to a backpack. It fits lovely under my coat inconspicuously. I got one on the cheap in Tiger and I have never looked back. 10/10 would recommend.

Money Matters

Also, speaking of money, know the currency and know the exchange rate! Don't get caught out for being a tourist and get over charged. We were lucky that BP is a relatively cheap place to go to and we had fantastic meals throughout the day at better than reasonable prices. But it would be wise to always have a back up. Don't leave yourself stranded with no money when your card cancels because you forgot to tell the bank you will be in a foreign country.
Not. Cool.

Communication is Key

Making sure I have phone credit is something I do as a standard because you never know what situation you could end up in. But whilst travelling, it is more than essential. And with that, carry a power bank with you. It really is no extra weight, and if you get one small enough, I'm sure it will fit into your bumbag too!

Picture Perfect

If you are in anyway interested in photography, I cannot stress enough how important it is to bring your camera. You don't want to be kicking yourself when you forgot it or decided against it and an amazing photo opportunity arises that could well be a 'once in a lifetime' shot.

It's Not What You Know..

If you know someone in the area, ask them where to go and where not to go! Don't be shy. When will you be there again? Perhaps you will be back, but there is no guarantee. Don't let these things slip. Be a tourist, see the sights, but use your resources!

I LOVE LISTS

Lists are fantastic, I love them. Travelling, for me, involves a ton of them! A list of essentials to get you out of the country (passport, boarding passes, money etc.), outfits, toiletries, electronics, miscellaneous/comfort items. The possibilities are endless, and I thrive on writing coherent lists. But even someone who doesn't share my passion should probably have a checklist or two of essentials for both packing and for actually travelling (Entitle your list: How To Get On The Plane 101). Obviously traveling as light as possible is ideal, so do you really need those two perfumes? Do you really need six lipsticks for four days of travelling? Can you live without half of your skincare routine for a few days? (Hell I know I can, I get lay-zay on me holiers - and rightly so!)

Making the Most of It

This is what we all aim for I'm sure. And as much as I love to list, I love to plan. I think it wise to create a list (YAY) of things that you want to achieve or get out of the holiday/break/etc. and places you want to go to/see. Having a rough idea of what you want from your holiday will make daily plans much easier which can be sketched out on your flight over or the night before over dinner or in your accommodation. It's not a huge deal but it's a handy way to get the most from your trip. So research it, write it down, and don't miss out.

Open Your Mind Before You Make It

I sound like a nightmare to travel with right now, but I am not so rigid as I seem to be coming off. As much as I like to plan, I recognize that it is important to be flexible and open-minded. Chances are, you are headed to a place you know little about or have little experience in. You may come across a little cafe that is just oh-so-cute, or a trinket shop that looks like a treasure chest awaiting your arrival, or even something that never came up in your search engine but now that you have stumbled upon it, you want to know more. I will never be the person who wants to 'stick to the schedule'. If I think I might find some bomb reworked vintage Levis, or coffee pot come lamp, I'm going to explore. Holidays are for enjoyment. Plans should be flexible and leave space and time for mindless exploration and adventure in this great new place. Set your mind free, you will be returning to reality in a few days.

Find Your Zen

Almost as a side note, but no less important: a degree of patience is required when travelling, especially with other people. Frustration levels are high and sleep levels low, ignorance is not always bliss when you don't know where your feckin' gate is or where the hotel is. Being in a strange place can be tough and disorientating and scary. But keeping an open mind and a pinch of patience should get you by, or at least to where you want to go (I hope). A good coping mechanism is always helpful, for example, retreating to a book or puzzle book, or even taking travel medication for sickness or anxiety. Where there is a will, there is a way.


Happy travelling!


Comments

Popular Posts